Isn't it amazing what toddlers come up with and say, do, and mimic? Lately, I have been in awe of all the things Will has been doing (and I'm not saying my child is a genius or anything, this stage is just amazing)!
Here are some recent examples of Will, the human sponge:
1. He pointed to a picture on the side of a diaper box over and over again the other day, repeating Tuck-Tuck. He calls Lauren and Zach's black lab Tuck-Tuck (his real name is Tucker) and absolutely loves him. You would think that he was pointing to a picture of a dog, but it was actually a computer. At first, I couldn't figure out what was going on. I wanted to say, "No, Will a computer is not called a Tuck-Tuck." And then something clicked and it all made sense.When we skype with Aunt Lulu and Uncle Zach, they always have Tucker say hello through the computer. I guess it was his way of telling us he really enjoys this activity!
2. He pointed to a white sedan on our street the other day and kept saying, "Ya-Ya" over and over again, which is what he calls my mom. She does drive a white car (although it is a 2 door convertible). What was amazing about this connection was that we haven't seen her car since January. Is it just a coincidence or is it possible that he observed and noticed that long ago, and is just now able to communicate what he's thinking?
4. The other day we were reading one of Will's favorite books, which is called First 100 Words. When we got to the picture below, Will repeatedly said "Wy" over and over again (which is short for his friend, Wyatt, who is in his class at school). I have to agree that he does look a lot like him, but Will obviously made this connection because of the hair. Wyatt has the best hair ever- he's adorable! Although the picture is really supposed to teach Will to say "blocks," I was happy that he came up with his own term!

5. 

Did you know that this is actually called a moon? Again, thought about saying to him, "No, Will, this is Nike's logo, it is called a swoosh." Maybe one day... It does look like the moon when it is in it's slice-like state, don't you think? Will pointed to this enthusiastically the other day, letting me know that I had a moon on my shirt!
6. Okay, last example. Hopefully, I'm not boring you. Will painted a flower pot for me for Mother's Day, which by the way, I absolutely LOVE! I never knew how special those homemade gifts were until now. Anyway, we made one for Beejie for Mother's Day also, because she loves flowers and gardening so much. He keeps pointing to the one he made for me above our sink. He loves pointing to it and saying "Eejie," even though this particular one was made for me. He was so excited and proud to give his gift to his Beejie. Even though hers is in Oklahoma with her now, Will will be able to remember that he made one for her too!

Well, that's all for now! I feel like there are many more examples floating around in my head, but you get the picture. Now I know why they say to teach children foreign languages at a very young age. Children truly are little sponges, and I have to say, I love watching Will soaking everything up right now. Being a parent is truly the best job in the world!


No comments:
Post a Comment